Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm bugged...

Sarah recently mentioned this and I gotta tell you, this really bothers me too. I usually prefer to blog about my family, but this is still getting buzz.
Darin always writes about "world-ly" issues, so now it's my turn.

September 11th...the worst day, arguably, in our history (I was not alive during Pearl Harbor, so cannot speak to that). One would think most of the media coverage would be about remembering what happened 6 years ago, or the servicemen (and women) over there - which currently includes one of my brothers. Between my brothers this is the 5th deployment to Iraq for my family...NOT including my cousins or cousin in law (also currently in Fallujah).

But, far and away the "story du jour" is Britney Spear's performance at the VMA's.

I did not watch the VMA's, but you cannot turn on the TV without seeing the clips of the show. It's no secret the girl is going through some major issues. BUT everyone has been negatively commenting on her weight...and while she does not look like she did at 16 (do you?) She did have 2 babies within 1 year of each other and I think looks pretty darn good...this pic to left is from the actual performance in question (stolen directly from Sarah's blog).

Do I think she's a role model...no.
Do I think she's a good singer...no.
Is she making good choices...clearly not.
I've never been a fan, but give the girl a break.

Criticize her performance...she lip synced, forgot the words, clearly hadn't practiced her routine. But it's out of line to criticize her weight.
This is the reason so many girls have self-image issues.
And the reason as a mom of 2 girls, I have to say, enough already.

And while I'm on the topic...what is with Entertainment Tonight's nightly reports about baby "Dannilyn's" upcoming 1st birthday. No disrespect, but does anyone really care? Did they follow Lisa Marie like that after Elvis died? I don't think so - and Anna Nicole was a playmate...not an American Icon. Give it a rest.

Just to sneak it in...in better news, Riley received her AWANA vest last night (which she had to earn for learning her bible verses). She lost her 1st soccer game (of which they don't keep "official" scores at her age, but you know all the parents keep a tally in their heads). They got creamed (like 16 to 3)...I guess 5 year olds don't have a "10-run" (or 10-goal in this case) rule. Although another mom and I were joking about how the other team was "funded". They all had matching shorts and socks (coach included). (Riley is the pig-tailed one in the white shirt)Cade is now not eating the crust on his sandwiches (the little booger)...but he is progressing with the potty-training. He goes to the potty about 80% of the time. He still wears a diaper for naps and bed-time. Brooke is becoming a little screamer (happy, mad, doesnt' matter) and very independent.

And I am getting away for the first time by myself. My scrapbook store has their annual retreat this weekend in Gore, Oklahoma (I am 1/2 working, 1/2 playing)...I will work a couple of hours each day (to pay my room and board) and will scrapbook the rest of the time. Woo Hoo!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person this bothered. RIDICULOUS!!

Congratulations on getting away in Gore!

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
I agree with your comments about Brittney and think you should include similar pictures of her (and girls like her) in all future blogs.

See you in a few days.