Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'm back, sort of

We just can't seem to get healthy around here. We all passed the stomach thing around, and once we get past that, Riley develops strep and Brooke gets Roseola. Fun times in this germy house. But I think we're over the worst of it (knock on wood).

Have a request for those of you that will check this between now and Monday (Feb. 4th)....I'd like you to email me the best book you've ever read, your favorite, or just a real good one that you'd reccommend. It's my turn to pick the selections for my book club. I have to go in with 5 choices (and a description of each) and we vote on which one we want. So any help would be great...I just read one that I wasn't too crazy about (and feel like it wasted my time) so I don't want anyone to think that about my selections.

Thanks in advance for your help!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny-
The Time Traverlers Wife by Audrey Neffenegger, The Glass Castle, The Book of Joe, I will send more if I can think of the titles. Hope all is well...Much Love-Jess

Heath and Pearl said...

1)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2)Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
3)Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
4)Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
5)Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6)Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
7)Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

submitted by Heath :)

Or, Lord of the Rings. I am going to read those now I think.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! I had to review this book for Elle magazine and thought it was really good and appealing to a variety of women (I'm assuming that your book group is women.)

http://www.amazon.com/Rest-Her-Life-Laura-Moriarty/dp/1401302718/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201898842&sr=1-1

I also like anything by Nick Hornby or David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs. I also recently read Listening is an Act of Love, which is a compilation of interview excerpts from real people on various subjects. Definitely a feel good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Listening-Act-Love-Celebration-StoryCorps/dp/1594201404

The Cider House Rules is one of my favorites of all time.

Hope that everyone is feeling well again soon!

Ginny

Pearl said...

I also loved Cider House!

Anonymous said...

I loved the Time Traveler's Wife, too. I just finished Empire Falls, which was really good. Somehow, I can't seem to think of anything else at the moment!

Sarah said...

Two of the books that I read during my book club days (miss them) are now movies which could spark interesting conversations and perhaps a girls night out at the movies;-) Atonement by Ian McEwan
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. Fiction based on history is fun.

Books by Haruki Murakami are sometimes WEIRD but they were fun to talk about afterwards.

And, because I always skipped out on reading the classics when I was in H.S., Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte was pretty enjoyable as an adult.

Somebody's Nobody said...

Papercrafts magazine? Creating Keepsakes? Memory Makers? Do those count for anything?